FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES
Sign in to take advantage of all this site has to offer. Save your favorite listings and searches – also receive email updates when listings you like come on the market for free! *Contact Information is NOT Shared*
Scott Martin Austin Hills Realty Texas Hill Country Real Estate
1007 Coventry Road Spicewood, TX 78669 Phone: (512) 755-0220 Email Scott
Burnet County, Texas Area Info
Indigenous peoples inhabit the area as early as 4500 B.C. Later known tribes in the area include Tonkawa, Lipan Apache and Comanche.
During the 1820s-1830s Stephen F. Austin and Green DeWitt surveying and Indian fighting explorations. In 1849 the United States established Fort Croghan and in 1848 First settlers arrived in the county, Samuel Eli Holland, Logan Vandeveer, Peter Kerr, William Harrison Magill, Noah Smithwick, Captain Jesse B. Burnham, R. H. Hall, Adam Rankin "Stovepipe" Johnson and Captain Christian Dorbandt. In 1851 Twenty Mormon families under the leadership of Lyman Wight establish a colony at Hamilton Creek, later to be known as Morman Mill.
In 1852 the Fourth Texas Legislature created Burnet County from Bell, Travis and Williamson. The first post office was established at Hamilton in 1853.
In 1860 there were 235 slaves in Burnet County
After the war some former slaves left the county, but many stayed. A group of them settled on land in the eastern part of Oatmeal. In 1870 the black population of the county had increased to 358, keeping pace with the growth of the total number of residents; the number of blacks had fallen to 248 by 1880, however, and the number of new white residents was such that after 1890, blacks represented less than 3 percent of the total population. Some found work on farms and ranches, but by the turn of the century many had moved into the Marble Falls area to work in town.
During 1882-1903 Railroad tracks to Burnet, Granite Mountain, Marble Falls, Lampasas. Lake Victor and Bertram become shipping point communities. Other communities lose population as the railroad offers employment.
During the Great Depression County farmers suffered financially but found work with government sponsored public-works projects. The Lower Colorado River Authority employed hundreds of people for the construction of the Hamilton (Buchanan) Dam and Roy B. Inks Dam.
Burnet County (/'b?rn?t/ BUR-nit) is a county located on the Edwards Plateau in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 42,750. Its county seat is Burnet. The county was founded in 1852 and is named for David Gouverneur Burnet, the first (provisional) president of the Republic of Texas. The name of the county is pronounced with the emphasis or accent on the first syllable, just as its namesake David Burnet.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,021 square miles (2,640 km2), of which 994 square miles (2,570 km2) is land and 27 square miles (70 km2) (2.6%) is water.